To the end that the people of North Dakota may receive excellence in health care, the North Dakota Academy of Family Physicians has for its objectives and purposes the following:
- To establish an organization of family physicians and general practitioners of medicine to promote and maintain high standards of the family and general practice of medicine;
- To encourage and assist young men and women in preparing, qualifying, and establishing themselves in family medicine;
- To preserve the right of the family physician, to engage in medical and surgical procedures for which he is qualified by training and experience;
- To assist in providing postgraduate study courses for family physicians and general practitioners, and to encourage and assist practicing physicians in participating in such training;
- To promote the science and art of medicine and surgery and the betterment of the public health, and to preserve the right of free choice of physician to the patient;
- To acknowledge and assume responsible public advocacy in all health-related matters.
Family Physician of the Year
To view a list of Family Physician of the Year recipients please click here.
Here is a list of some of the many benefits that are currently available:
Website – The NDAFP has a website http://www.ndafp.org that has some basic information on it. This site is currently being redone to greatly enhance the materials on the website and hopefully increase your interaction.
Foundation – The North Dakota Academy of Family Physicians Foundation is an extension of the NDAFP. The NDAFP Foundation offers an opportunity for student and resident development programs and award recognition. Tax-deductible donations can be made anytime online or by mailing your donation to the office.
Advocacy – The NDAFP has an contract with the North Dakota Medical Association to lobby on behalf of the family physicians across the state. Their daily interaction with the state legislators allows us the opportunity to get our input included on the highly debated issues.
CME – There are numerous Continuing Medical Education opportunities offered. The Family Medicine Update Conference is held the third full week of January every year in Big Sky, MT. This CME event brings in family physicians from all across the country. In one week, you can obtain up to 25 CME credits while enjoying time with your family and colleagues. In addition, the Annual Scientific Assembly provides another meeting place to visit with family physicians from across the state and obtain CME at the same time. We are once again holding a Fall CME event. Enjoy a UND Fighting Sioux Hockey game, catch up on the latest CME topics, and visit with colleagues.
Patient Education – Materials are received at the NDAFP office on a regular basis. If there is something in particular that you are looking for please let me know and I will see what I can find.
News/Publications – Through Email Newsletters and the Family Medicine Quarterly, you will stay informed on what is going on with family medicine in our state and in our country.
Medical Student Programs – There are a number of medical student activities planned throughout the year to allow students the opportunity to see what family medicine is all about. Everything from physician question and answer panels, to suturing workshops, to casting demonstrations.
Residency Involvement – There have been recent changes to be sure that the Residents are involved in many aspects of the NDAFP. Resident Board members are now active in meetings. Residents are given the opportunity to teach medical students through workshops.
The NDAFP office – staffed by Brandy Jo Frei, is available for general assistance with any needs that you may have. If you want to get involved, are looking for people to get involved with something you are doing, looking for patient education materials, need practice management answers, etc. Please feel free to contact the office with any questions, concerns, or issues that you may have and if Brandy is not able to help you, she will find someone who can. The North Dakota Academy of Family Physicians is here to serve you. Please let us know what you need, want, and would like to see.